Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some times, they get it right.

Right now (most likely), I have a senior consultant sitting in an interview with three representatives of a government department. Anonymity isn't a big priority at Jonathan McLeod Recruiting, but in this case, I won't divulge any more information.

I have worked with this consultant in the past. A few months ago we were preparing a proposal for a different government agency (at the last minute, we hit a snag and had to abandon it), so when this new opportunity came up, I already had a head start in preparing his resume and the "grid". All tolled, I have probably spent about 20 - 30 hours on his resume - which grew first from about 10 to 14 pages, then to 17, then finally to 19.

Here's the scary part - I hadn't had a chance to meet him in person. Many phone calls, many more emails, but never anything in the flesh, as they say.

I gave him some interview tips (though apparently I neglected to send him one document - though it shouldn't make a difference), and I made sure he knew the importance of appearance and making a good impression. Still, you never what that person is going to be like when he shows up at the client's office. We've had senior people come into our office in a suit and tie, then show up for a meeting with the client in a t-shirt; you can guess how those went.

This opportunity is pretty important. It's not a long contract, and won't make a lot of money, but it should give us a good chance at getting more work. Plus, having been up until one or two in the morning many nights, I have a bit more of a personal stake in this proposal than some others.

So our guy stopped by the office today before his interview with the client - shirt, tie, suit... he'd even come straight from the barber. It was great. We sat and spoke with him for about 20 minutes. We gave him some tips; he talked to us about what he was looking for from the client; we focused on some specific points in his work history that he should touch on. This is how the process is supposed to work.

So, kudos to you, "Mr. Consultant." I know you'll represent us well.

Of course, now I'll be checking my email constantly tonight to find out how it went.

[UPDATE: I just got word from the consultant; indeed, it went well, he tells me. Now we just have to wait for confirmation from the client.]

[UPDATE II: Yup, he nailed it. Apparently the technical authority was really pressing him, and he was able to win her over. He'll probably be starting soon. Things are pretty slow these days, so it's nice to put one in the win column.]

No comments:

Post a Comment